If you are looking for a D1 Property you are definitely in the right place. If you don’t know what a D1 property is then you have also found the answer to your question. Tunji Adebayo & Co have over two decades of experience in this niche and can help you with all your queries, needs and questions.

What is a D1 property?

There are different categories of building in UK planning. If your organisation is a church organisation then you belong to the Class D1. It’s almost as simple as that, but of course, not quite.

So why does the D1 property class exist?

Back in 1987 the Town & Country Planning (use classes) order was an amendment built on an order that had been developed in 1972. This order existed to differentiate between property use types. This made sense because in this way planning authorities could keep a more effective eye on the types of development that people were beginning to need and develop.

There are all kinds of reasons why planning authorities need to keep an eye on just how people are using buildings. Safety is a priority. Every building needs to be fit for purpose, obviously.

So how is a D1 Property classified?

Basically a D1 property is a building that is being used by an institution. What do we mean? Well, think educational for example. This would be something like a nursery. A religious institution is obviously a church and a medical institution would be an organisation such as a surgery for a GP, health centre etc.

Are there any restrictions on D1 class properties?

It is important to note that these properties must be non-residential. So care homes, respite, etc. do not fall into the D1 category. If you are thinking of setting up a boarding school or hospital where people stay for treatment, or a convent perhaps, these types of institutions are different. They actually fall in to the C2 category or use class.

You might like to be aware that not everything is just a D1 class. There are some restricted use classes in the D1 category


Are you looking for a new commercial property?

This will mean that a building may be designated only for medical use for example. You may even find that a suitable property may then have a clause that acts as a restriction against using that property for a church or religious meeting.

Don’t get lost on the road to finding the right property for your church

This really is worth knowing because you may find you spend a lot of money initially only to discover that the property you thought looked perfect for your needs may have restricted planning. That’s why you need highly experienced professionals to help you negotiate the complex planning laws that can trip up an inexperienced traveller on this difficult road.

Often what’s needed is a professional to shoulder the burden and do the research for you. Tunji Adebayo & Co has seen many changes in the 20 years we have been working in this sector. In fact there is little we haven’t seen or don’t understand about the D1 property market and have overseen hundreds of church conversions in London. Some of these have been extraordinarily time-consuming and complex but we have got the results our clients needed. We are also very successful when it comes to appeals.

If you need help sourcing a D1 property Tunji Adebayo & Co will help you in every way. We pride ourselves on our end-to-end planning and conversion services so contact us now to make your vision a reality. Contact us